Utata Breaks The Rules Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Utata Breaks The Rules?
- Utata Breaks The Rules is the Big Project for Summer 2015. Past Big Project have included Utata Goes Mobile, Utata Pays Homage, Just One Thing, and A Conversation.
In the words of entrepreneur and balloonist Richard Branson, "You don't learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over." For this summer's Utata Big Project we would like you to deliberately fall over. Remember all those rules you learned about photography? We'd like you to forget them.
- But I like rules.
- Then you may have joined the wrong club.
- Do you want words as well as pictures?
- ThisBig Project is all about the photographs. If you do wish to add a short description then feel free to break the rules of grammar and spelling.
- Are there any categories?
- The categories for this Big Project are the rules we want you to break.
- Into the light—shoot directly into the sun, a lamp, the eye of Sauron, …
- Mind your head—arrange your portrait subject so that something in the background grows out of his head: a tree, a lamp post, the eye of Sauron, …
- Off with their heads—carefully frame your photograph … then droop the lens a little so that all the heads are chopped out of the frame.
- Missed it—click your shutter half a second after the Decisive Moment
- Off-focus—focus on the wrong thing or on nothing at all
- The finger—make sure when you hold your camera that at least one of your fingers is obscuring the lens.
- Discomposure—the rule of thirds? straight horizons? uncluttered backgrounds? Forget about it.
- All of Them—You're so giddy with breaking the rules you decide to break two or more of them.
- How many images?
- You may submit up to six in each category up to a total of 42 if you participate in every category.
- Can I use archival photographs or do they all have to be new?
- No. Utata Big Projects are about creating new work. Besides … you're professionals … you'll never have broken the rules before.
- Can I use someone elses's photographs?
- No, please only submit photos which you took and for which you have full copyright. Model releases may be necessary.
- Will collaborative works be accepted?
- No. Utata Big Projects are solo endeavours.
- Will submissions be edited or published as is?
- Whatever you submit, that's what we use.
- What size will images be displayed?
- Images will be displayed using Flickr's default large size, with a maximum width of 1024 pixels wide. If your photograph is portrait or square orientation, it will not be resized.
- What tags do I use?
- In order for us to pull your photos from Flickr and display them on the Utata project page, you'll need to tag your photos properly. All submissions must use one of the following tags:
- Within each of these categories, you can order your photographs using the tags
- N.B. These should be applied per category, e.g. if you submit three tagged
ruleslight and two tagged
rulesfocus they should be numbered
entry=1,2,3 for the light and then
entry=1,2 for the focus.
- Can I use other formatting tags?
- As for previous Big Projects, tags can mark which part of a description of a photo is seen by Utata:
[marker] with whatever characters you choose as your marker.
- Can my photos be marked private?
- In order for your photos to appear on Utata project pages, they must be public, not private.
- Can I opt out of Flickr's API permissions?
- No, in order for us to access your photographs using tags, you must opt-in to Flickr's API permission. If you don't know whether you are opted in or not, go here and check. You must have the "Hide your photostream from searches on 3rd party sites that use the API?" unchecked in order to participate.
- Do I have to be a member of Utata?
- Yes, you must be a member of Utata and you must have a Utata.org member page, if you don't already. We will be using the name you have indicated on your member page, if you wish your name to be different for the project, you will need to change your member page details.
- What is Utata's policy on nudity?
- Utata.org only publishes Flickr photos marked "safe" in accordance with Flickr community guidelines. See the following from the Flickr FAQ on Content Filters:
- What is the deadline for this exciting project?
- All submissions must be completed and appropriately tagged by 11:59 p.m. on September 6, 2015. By 11:59 p.m., we mean in your timezone.